Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cool things

I've been playing with the new computer for a day now. Here are some of the things I've been playing with:



Desktop Cube. It's a thingy that comes with Linux that essentially gives you multiple virtual monitors. I'm on the Internet, I hit a button, and everything rotates to give me a new, blank screen. I open a word processor, start typing, hit a different button, and it spins back to the Internet. The way I set it up, I pretty much have four different monitors inside my computer.





Paint Fire On The Screen. Self-explanatory. Also, it stays there until you hit the "please go away" button, and it still looks like it's burning. Distraction, but fun.




Sadly, I can't find a good picture of the "rain on screen" button. (Raindrops land on your screen with the same effect they would have if they landed in water. Also, there's a windshield wiper effect that you can enable once "rain" is enabled.)


And now, the most useful one:



On Macs, it's called Expose. On Linux, it's called Scale. It zooms all your open windows way out. Then you click on one, and all the windows zoom back to the size they were before, with the one you clicked on on top of the pile. Useful. Awesome.

I'm still playing with my new toy, so if I discover more neat things, I will share those as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now, my question is, why didn't Vista get it right? I mean, they made it all pretty, but you lose a huge amount of processing power and battery life. Why not just rip off Linux or something? They've been doing it for so long and been doing it right, without the huge overhead.

BTW, it's not just Linux, I'm having issues uploading lots of pictures as well. And I'm using Windows XP.