Friday, May 16, 2008

End-of-Semester Recap

Right now, I'm taking a break from packing. About 75% of my room is currently in either the packed or almost-packed stage. There's folded clothes on my bed waiting to go into a suitcase, boxes waiting to go into storage, and trash waiting to be, well, taken to the trash. As I'm going through my stuff, I find all these things I'd forgotten about--"Wow, that was a good book! Hey, I remember taking this (now-returned) test! Oh, look, math notes!" And, well, it's been a busy semester.


Classes I've Taken:

Math 14: Every math class I've taken at Mudd has had a spectacular teacher. Math 14 was no exception. Sadly, Prof Gupta was a visiting professor, and will be gone next semester. We'll miss him, and the lemon squares he baked for his classes.

Chem 22: It's Frosh Chem! For once, some parts of chem--like Quantum--made sense. Others--like Thermochemistry--still didn't.

Physics 24A: This year, for the first time, there was an advanced section of the Mechanics Physics class. I'm really glad I could take it, because it meant we spent less time on things like energy (which I understood) and more on rotational dynamics (which I didn't understand).

Intro to Social Psychology: This class was awesome. Really, really awesome. It almost turned me into a Psychology minor. (At Mudd, we call them concentrations. Really, it's the same thing.) I also read two really good books, The Lucifer Effect and The Power of Persuasion, for this class. It was more work than some of the other Hum classes, but I learned a lot, and it was definitely worth it.

E4: E4 had its ups and its downs. On the one hand, I made some new friends and built a compost sifter. On the other hand, it was a lot of work.

Jazz: I had to drop my jazz class halfway through the semester, because spraining my finger meant I was out of practice for a month. I'll be going back Spring semester of next year, because Jazz is how I destress.

Other Stuff:

Coding: From hanging out with programmers, I've learned a lot about coding. (For example, that Python alarm clock I wrote with Aren a few weeks back. I'm still working on porting it to Linux.)

Writing: After not writing for a while, I'm finally writing short stories again. Most of them aren't good, but it keeps me sane.

Computers: I have a new computer now, and I'll probably be building a desktop next semester. I've figured out enough about hardware that I'd feel confident doing so.

Fun: Despite all the work we have to do here, I've had a lot of fun: watching anime with my friends, having fights with foam rockets on the lawn in front of East, watching bad movies, and playing truth-or-dare.

This summer, I'll be in Memphis, getting a job and spending time with my Memphian friends. If anything Mudderly comes up over the summer, I'll write about it here.

No comments: